Last updated NOVEMBER 2021
Your privacy is important to us. This policy explains what personal information Cruising Milford Sound Ltd collects from you, how we store it, how you can access and correct that information and when we might share information with other people.
If you can’t find what you are looking for or have any concerns or feedback, please email us at [email protected] You can also write to us at: Privacy, Cruising Milford Sound Ltd, PO Box 2003, Wakatipu 9349.
CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD needs to collect, use, and share personal information about our customers to offer our customers the best possible experience and to keep our customers and employees, safe and secure. We only collect personal information where we consider it to be reasonably necessary.
“you” means you, our customer and/or any user of CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD products, services and websites including additional drivers and passengers travelling with you and includes any employee, agent, or contractor of CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD.
“we”, “our”, “us” and “CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD” means CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD.
“Personal information” refers to any information relating to you such as your name, date of birth, contact details, credit card details, country of residence, travel preferences and special needs that you supply to us or is supplied to us, including your social preferences and activities.
If you make bookings or request products for other people, such as your family, friends or employees, you must make sure you are authorised to give us their personal information. We will assume that you have their authorisation to do so.
HOW AND WHY DOES CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD COLLECT, USE AND SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We collect personal information so that we can provide you with the products you have requested from us safely and effectively. This is our main purpose for collecting your personal information. If you choose not to provide us with any personal information we require from you, we may not be able to provide you with the products or services you have requested.
COLLECTION AND USE:
Below we explain in more detail the ways we collect and why we collect your personal information:
- Bookings: When you book a product, request a quote or check in we will ask you for the personal information we need to give you what you want. This includes your name, contact details (email, address and telephone number), payment information and information about you and other people you are travelling with. We need this information to provide you with products and services you have booked and to carry out our obligations relating to contracts between us or between you and any third party.
- CCTV: Where you see signs at any of our physical locations telling you that CCTV cameras are in operation, we are collecting CCTV footage of our employees and customers. We need this information to ensure the safety of our property and employees.
- Call recording: When you call any of our customer numbers, we may record the call. We record these calls for training and customer service reasons and to help you and meet our contractual obligations.
- Customer reviews: We may use your contact information to send you a short survey about your experience with us. We also monitor and use customer reviews on review websites and social media. These help us understand and improve our service and products.
- Travel agents: We may also collect your personal information through trusted parties such as travel agents to provide you with the products and services you have booked and to carry out our obligations in relation to these bookings.
- Marketing activities: CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD may also collect your personal information for marketing activities through marketing and analytical services. CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD may use such personal information for marketing activities, as permitted by law. For example:
- To contact you by email with information on our latest news, updates, special offers, discounts or promotions or competitions. You consent to this when you agree as part of the booking process or if you agree to this when you are asked in person at the CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD store or check in desk. You can opt out at any time by clicking “unsubscribe” in the email.
- Based on the information you share with us, you may see personalised mobile apps or on third-party websites, including social media sites.
- Competitions and promotions: If you enter any of our competitions and promotions, we may need to collect your personal information. This information will only be used with your consent.
- Market research: We sometimes ask our customers to take part in market research. Any additional personal details you give us as part of this research will only be used with your consent.
Credit Card information
So we can process your payments
Whyte Waters Group (Real Time Booking System)
Name and Contact Details
So we know who you are
Name and Contact Details
Only if you’ve volunteered to participate in research for us
Name, Contact Details, Identification Details, Reservation Details, Masked Credit Card Information
So we can process your reservation
Alphabet Inc (Google)
Name, Contact Details, Identification Details, Reservation Details, Browser, Location, Device and cookie information
So, we can identify you, provide the transactional information and marketing information to you
Website clicks and cursor movements (no keystroke information)
So we can improve the user experience on our website
The Rocket Science Group LLC (MailChimp)
Name, Contact Details, Reservation Details
So we can email you confirmations and important information about your reservation or offers from CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD
IBIS Technology Limited
Name, Contact Details, Reservation Details, Masked Credit Card Information
So we can process your reservation for CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD Cruise
Name, Contact Details
When you ride our Coach to Milford Sound
Customer Radar Limited
Name, Contact Details, Feedback Information
So you can tell us how we did
- Other communications: We may have to contact you by email, phone or SMS, depending on the contact information we have for you, this could be:
- So we can respond to and deal with your queries, complaints or requests
- If you have not finalised a booking online, we may email or call you to remind you to do so. We see this as a useful service because it lets you carry on with a booking without having to find the product again or fill in all the booking details from scratch.
- We may also send you other emails relating to your booking, such as where to pick up or check in and information on contacting us if you need help.
- Public safety and fraud prevention: We may use personal information to detect and prevent fraud and other illegal or unwanted activities including preventing unsafe drivers from hiring vehicles.
- Improving our services: We use personal information for analytical purposes, to improve our services, to enhance the user experience, and to improve the functionality and quality of our websites.
- Debt collection: Collecting any debts you may owe us (we may also pass your details on to a third-party debt collection agency).
- Training: For our staff, monitoring and improving our products, services, websites, applications and devices and, and maintaining our systems.
- Research: We may from time to time aggregate and anonymise customer information to use ourselves or to provide to third parties for research, data analysis, statistical or other purposes.
- Public information: We may also collect and use personal information that is publicly available, for example through social media, public directories or review websites. We use this information to improve our services.
- Employment applications: If you apply for a job with us, we will need some of your personal information as part of the process of working out if you are the right person for CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD.
HOW AND WHY DO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES?
We share your personal information with third parties with your consent or as necessary to complete any transaction or to provide any product you have requested. These third parties (some of whom may be located outside of New Zealand) are:
More details about third parties we may need to share your personal information with:
- Other companies supplying you with products: To complete your booking or provide you with help we may need to send your personal information to third parties who provide ancillary products or services you have requested or need (for example our coach partners – Scenic NZ, Entrada Travel Group, Altitude Tours; our partner Milford Sound Operators; True South Flights).
- Other companies controlled by CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD: To support your booking and through your use of our products we may share you details within CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD to enable us to perform our obligations.
- Other people named in your booking: To assist them while using our products or amending a booking.
- Third party service suppliers: We use third party service suppliers to process your personal information on our behalf for the purposes described above. For example, we may use them to contact you, or to send booking information on our behalf, to manage aspects of our websites, call-centres, or marketing activities. We also work with third party information technology service providers (including “cloud” providers or other types of networked or electronic storage), market research or analysis tools, marketing and communications providers, fines and toll processing agents and payment service suppliers to facilitate payment. We also work with third party advertisement networks to market services on other platforms and involve third party suppliers for analytical purposes. We will take reasonable steps to make sure that all these third parties are bound by confidentiality agreements and will not be allowed to use your personal information for any purposes other than those described above.
- Bill/invoice: If someone else pays your bill, such as your employer, that entity or person.
- Competent authorities: Where the law requires or authorises us to do so (whether in NZ or overseas), we may share your personal information with government or investigative authorities if required by law (or any regulation having the force of law). Such requirements include court orders, subpoenas and orders arising from legal processes and criminal investigations. We may also disclose you person information if it is strictly necessary for the prevention, detection or prosecution of criminal acts.
WHAT SECURITY PROCEDURES DOES CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD HAVE IN PLACE TO SAFEGUARD YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We store information in different ways, including paper and electronic form. We take reasonable steps to protect it from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. To do this we:
- Use only secure servers.
- Use industry standard encryption for the transmission of personal information on our websites and storage of your credit card details which are used as security. When Your credit card details are handled in compliance with PCI DSS 3.2standards and are encrypted and securely stored by Windcave Limited using SSL protocol to allow a secure connection between your internet browser and our internet server, using a private key to encrypt the information.
- Require any third-party suppliers we use to comply with global data protection legislation relevant to the services they are providing.
- Ensure that our employees and service providers only have access to the personal information they need to do their jobs.
- Take guidance from security best practice including iso27001 and regularly update our security policies in line with new threats.
We will retain personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil our obligations to you, to protect our legal interests, to comply with a law or as otherwise stated to you when we collected personal information.
Once we are no longer required to retain personal information, we will take reasonable steps to destroy personal information or to ensure that personal information is de-identified.
IT’S YOUR CHOICE – HOW TO ACCESS & CONTROL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you by contacting us at [email protected] To keep your information safe, we may ask for further information to confirm your identity. If you spot any mistakes in your personal information, please tell us (email the same address) so that we can correct the information.
You can “opt out” from:
- marketing and sales emails by clicking “unsubscribe” in any emails
In some circumstances, you have the right to ask CRUISING MILFORD SOUND LTD to stop using and/or delete your personal information. If you want to do this, please contact us at [email protected]
Our privacy officer can be contacted at: [email protected] or PO BOX 2003, Wakatipu, Queenstown 9349 or 0800 500 121 (NZ toll free).
CHANGE IN POLICY
We may need to amend the terms of this Policy if our practices change. If we do so, we will post the updated version on our website.
We use monitoring tools such as cookies and web beacons on our websites, emails, and social media accounts (our “websites”). These tools are to make sure that our websites work properly and to give you the best experience we can when you’re booking a product with us or interacting with us.
If you would like to limit or control the type of cookies that are set on your computer or device, please refer to the section below titled “It’s your choice: Opting in or out”.
WHAT ARE COOKIES?
A ‘cookie’ is a small text file that can be placed on your computer, mobile or other device, when you use a website to allow us to identify the computer or device that you’re using to access our website – but we can’t identify you personally. Two kinds of cookies are used on our platform: session cookies and persistent cookies.
Session cookies are used to remember selections made in the booking process, giving you a more seamless booking experience on our websites. Session cookies are deleted automatically when you close your browser.
Persistent cookies are used to help us identify customers when they return to our websites and help us remember your preferences. These cookies also help us understand browsing behaviour within our websites, which can assist us in customising content that we believe will be most relevant to your interests. Persistent cookies are stored on the user’s computer or device and are not deleted when the browser is closed – these cookies must be “manually” deleted if you want to remove them.
FIRST AND THIRD-PARTY COOKIES
Cruising Milford Sound Ltd sets cookies (first party cookies) on our websites and we also allow certain carefully selected third parties such as Google Analytics and Hotjar to host cookies on our web pages and Mandril on certain of our transactional emails (third party cookies).
WHAT IS A WEB BEACON?
A web beacon is a tiny graphic image of just one pixel that can be delivered to your computer as part of a web page request, in an app, in an advert, or in an HTML email message. Web beacons can be used for many purposes – including site traffic reporting, counting unique visitors, advertising, auditing, reporting and personalisation. They also help us monitor our websites and ensure that each page is loading properly and quickly.
- To operate our websites efficiently with a high level of functionality
- To measure the effectiveness of our website and marketing campaigns
- To learn about customer preferences so that we can present customers with content that is relevant to them including targeted advertising
- To produce data for reporting on completed and abandoned bookings on our websites
- To produce data on web traffic and customer web activity through our websites
The cookies used by Cruising Milford Sound Ltd are categorised into five groups:
Category of Cookie*
Function of Cookie
Cruising Milford Sound Ltd
These cookies help make a website usable by enabling basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the website. Parts of the website cannot function properly without these cookies, and they are used to give you a user-friendly website that functions correctly and that adapt automatically to you.
These include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our websites and make a purchase or amend your booking. If these cookies are blocked or disabled, some of the website’s functions will not be available to you and you may not be able to use our online services. These cookies do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing.
These cookies enable a website to remember information that changes the way the website behaves or looks, like your preferred language or the region that you are in.
Cruising Milford Sound Ltd
These cookies are used to obtain statistics about the number of visitors to our websites and how our visitors use our websites, for example which pages are most popular. This information is aggregated and is not used to identify individuals. This information allows us to continuously improve our websites to provide our customers with a better online experience (such as enabling users to find what they are looking for more easily). These cookies do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing.
Google Tag Manager
These cookies are used to recognise you online and to gather information about your online activity and browsing habits (including the pages you have visited and the links you have followed, including from a Cruising Milford Sound Ltd electronic direct marketing message). This data is aggregated and anonymised.
These cookies assist us to make our websites more relevant to you (i.e. by helping us tailor our content, marketing communications and offers your interests). For example, we may use information about the previous products you selected to present you with relevant offers the next time you visit our websites. These cookies maybe placed on our websites by us (or our third-party service providers) to help us to: (i) track the effectiveness of advertising and online marketing campaigns, (ii) measure referrals from third party sites to our website, (iii) collect data about completed and abandoned bookings on our website and (iv) conduct market research.
Cruising Milford Sound Ltd may share the information we learn through advertising/targeting cookies with carefully selected third parties for these purposes unless you disable or block cookies.
Cruising Milford Sound Ltd
These cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
IT’S YOUR CHOICE: OPTING IN AND OPTING OUT
If you would like to block some or all of the cookies on our websites from being downloaded onto your computer or device, you can do this by manually adjusting the cookie settings on your internet browser or by clicking on the “Show details” link on our website. To learn how to manage the cookie preferences on your internet browser, click on the “Help” menu on the internet browser.
If you choose to block some or all the cookies on our website, you will not receive online adverts from Cruising Milford Sound Ltd based on your previous visits and you will still be able to make a booking.
Last updated November 2021.